Wednesday, July 18, 2012

West Bank 7/14/2012

Driving into Bethlehem freaked me out. I didn't realize that we would be going into the West Bank lots of people talk about the west bank and the Palestinian's. I have heard from locals how scared they were here during the Second Intifada. The Palestinians had an uprising from 2000-2005 and there was a lot of suicide bombing and scary stuff. So when we drove up to the wall and had to go through a check point I was freaking out!



On the other side of the wall it is covered in pictures like this, they are beautiful and frightening at the same time! The words gave me the chills and I just hoped that we were not here the next time there was an uprising. 



 Soon I was able to calm down but I was still very leery about the people. They would come right up to the car as you drove and wash your windshield for money. Or just knock on your window with outstretched hands. There were so many of them in the streets you had to go really slow and let them funnel around the car as you went. The streets were so narrow it made me nervous. With the majority of the people being Muslim they were dressed accordingly in there Hijab. 

















     After our journey was over I have to say that I have had a change of heart. We went to a store and a restaurant and the people were the most kind and considerate people I have meet. They asked all about our family and exclaimed how beautiful our kids were. They even gave the kids some flutes for free. This was completely different from the way we are treated in the stores on the other side of the wall. I have to say after meeting a lot of people the Muslims seem to be my favorite people in manners and hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment